Evaluation of faculty members includes written annual reviews and feedback from peers. Evaluations also include a thorough review for assistant professors during the third year of appointment at the University of Georgia and a review every five years following the award of tenure.
The Board of Regents requires that each faculty member, regardless of responsibilities, receive a written annual evaluation of his or her performance at the University of Georgia. The faculty member may respond to the report in writing, and any such response becomes part of the record. For teaching faculty, this evaluation must consider student evaluation of classes. Instructional units are encouraged to develop additional methods of evaluating instruction. The responsibility for the annual performance evaluation is held by the head of the administrative unit in which the faculty member is budgeted. The promotion/tenure unit head is responsible for the annual appraisal of progress toward promotion and tenure.
Faculty members should participate with their respective department head and dean's office, as appropriate, in the development or modification of means and instrumentation for faculty evaluation.
- University Council Minutes, March 11, 1980
- Board of Regents Policy Manual, § 184.108.40.206
For assistant professors in their third year of appointment at the University of Georgia, the head of the promotion/tenure unit shall appoint a committee to review thoroughly the individual’s achievements and performance in teaching, research and other creative activities, and service. That committee shall report its findings to the professors and associate professors in the promotion and tenure unit. The promotion/tenure unit will recommend whether progress toward promotion and/or tenure is sufficient. The promotion/tenure unit head shall provide the faculty member under review with a written report telling him or her of progress toward promotion. The candidate is encouraged to reply in writing to the report and any reply becomes part of the report.
- UGA's Guidelines for Appointment, Promotion, and Tenure
- Board of Regents Policy Manual, § 220.127.116.11
Each tenured faculty member must be reviewed every five years in accordance with criteria and procedures adopted by the promotion/tenure unit. These criteria and procedures must follow University policy as well as any policies at the college/school level.
All tenured faculty members employed under written contract for the fiscal or academic year shall give at least sixty (60) days written notice of their intention to resign to the president of the institution or to his/her authorized representative.
Notice of employment for non-tenured faculty:
All non-tenured faculty members currently under contract must be given notice of intention to renew or not to renew employment from the president of the institution or from his/her authorized representative. Notice of intention to renew or not to renew employment shall be furnished in writing on a schedule based on the faculty member’s rank. The schedule of notification does not apply to persons holding temporary, visiting, part-time or adjunct appointments.
Academic and Clinical Ranks
The following schedule applies to non-tenured faculty with Academic rank (Instructor, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Professor), and Clinical rank (Clinical Instructor, Clinical Assistant Professor, Clinical Associate Professor, Clinical Professor):
- at least three months before the date of termination of an initial one-year contract;
- at least six months before the date of termination of a second one-year contract;
- at least nine months before the date of termination of a contract after two or more years of service in the institution.
The following schedule applies to non-tenured faculty with Lecturer and Senior Lecturer rank:
- At least 60 calendar days before the date of termination of the initial one-year or second one-year contract
- At least 90 calendar days before the date of termination of a third one-year, fourth one-year or fifth one-year contract
- At least 180 calendar days before the date of termination of the sixth or later one-year contract
- At least 180 calendar days before the date of termination of the current one-year contract
Academic Professional, Administrative A, Librarian, Public Service, Research Scientist, and Staff Physician Ranks
The following schedule applies to non-tenured faculty with Academic Professional rank (Academic Professional Associate, Academic Professional, Senior Academic Professional), Administrative A rank, Librarian rank (Librarian I, Librarian II, Librarian III, Librarian IV), Public Service rank (Public Service Representative, Public Service Assistant, Public Service Associate, Senior Public Service Associate), Research Scientist rank (Assistant Research Scientist, Associate Research Scientist, Senior Research Scientist), and Staff Physician rank:
- at least 90 calendar days before the date of termination of the current one-year contract