1.09-10 Part-Time Faculty
Part-time faculty are non-tenured faculty employed less than full-time at a single University System of Georgia (USG) institution, or at more than one USG institution. Part-time faculty:
- Are not accruing time toward tenure.
- Are required to sign a letter of agreement for each appointment period and are not issued contracts. A template letter of agreement is posted at the Office of Faculty Affairs website.
- Are not the same as adjunct faculty appointments, which are unpaid.
- May be USG benefits eligible, depending on the duration of their employment and percent time employment. If the part-time appointment is continuous for more than one consecutive semester (excluding summer) and 50% time or greater, benefits will be offered based on percent time in accordance with the Employees Categories policy in the USG Human Resources Administrative Practice Manual.
- Are required to account for hours worked/week over the academic year. If teaching is an assigned duty, then the faculty member’s instructional work time is based on contact hours/week. See the UGA contact hour conversion chart (below) to convert instructional contact hours to standard hours worked and percent time employed. If teaching is not the only assignment, then part-time faculty must track their non-instructional hours worked/week.
- Who work or teach at more than one UGA unit and/or USG institution must notify each unit/institution of the appointments, disclose the number of contact hours being taught or hours worked at each unit/institution, and may have his/her employment limited by the unit/institutions. A USG Dual Appointment Agreement (http://www.hr.uga.edu/dual-appointment-information) between institutions must also be initiated. In most cases, the dual appointment agreement must be fully-executed by the Presidents of both institutions prior to the employment effective date. Note that initiation of this agreement is an on-going obligation prior to any new term of joint employment among USG units.
For additional information about part-time faculty, see the following sections of the Board of Regents Policy Manual:
- 1.2.5, Institution Responsibilities
- 3.2.2, Election of Faculties
- 8.2, General Policies for all Personnel
- 8.3, Additional Policies for Faculty