Resources for Faculty and Department Heads
The Office of Faculty Affairs Offers several resources and programs to support faculty and leadership success at UGA:
- New faculty getting started checklist
- New Faculty Orientation 2018 - The 2018 New Faculty Orientation will be held on Wednesday, August 1, 2018 in Masters Hall of the Georgia Center for Continuing Education. Registration begins at 8:00
a.m., the program at 8:30 a.m., and a reception follows immediately after from 4:00
- 5:30 p.m. Register by July 15th by clicking here; an email invitation will also be sent directly to new faculty in late June, 2018.
Use this form to learn about and/or register for one of our supplemental activities:
- Campus tour - Learn your way around campus with 90-minute campus tour! The campus tours generally occur every weekday at 8:30, 11:30 and 2:30. We suggest that new faculty attend the 11:30 or 2:30 sessions on August 31 or September 2 so you can meet each other. Register early before they fill up at https://visit.uga.edu/tours/ .
- New faculty workshop - Join us for a half-day workshop entitled, Staying Sane as a New Faculty Member Workshop. Choose from either Friday, August 10 or Thursday, August 16. Registration for Fall workshops is currently closed.
- Benefits workshop - Three classes are reserved on July 30, July 31 and August 2, just for new faculty to learn about Benefits and Retirement Plans so that you can understand the options and make selections. Registeration for these workshops are closed, but please see https://hr.uga.edu/ to find out more about benefits and benefit workshops.
- Mailing list for professional development - We will be launching a series of workshops just for our new and junior faculty! Check back on this page, or send us your email address to make sure you never miss one of our learning opportunities! Email Susanna.Calvert@uga.edu to be added to our mailing list.
- What to do my first semester at UGA - Tips on getting started in your faculty position at UGA.
Professional Development for Faculty
- Faculty Learning Opportunities, a set of workshops and informal meetings for new and established faculty and academic leaders. Cohort programs include Creating a Sustainable Writing Practice, New Department Head Orientation, Summer Faculty Leadership Institute and Aspire Faculty Fellows Program.
- Tenure-track and clinical faculty promotion and tenure procedures workshops on March 8, 2018 from 2-4 pm and April 18, 2018 from 2:30-4:30 pm, both offered in the Training and Development Building. Also, the promotion and tenure dossier preparation workshop will be held on February 28, 2018 from 2-4 pm and March 27, 2018 from 10-12 pm, also in the Training and Development Building. Note: the April 18 workshop registration will not be available on the T&D website until April 2.
- OFA Professional Development newsletters - Lists general and theme-related resources on- and off-campus.
- Space and time for faculty writing at the Miller Learning Center - Drop in during designated writing times, get coffee and/or discounts at MLC Jittery Joe's! Also, during the fall semester, meet with Office of Research's Proposal Enhancement or OFA's coach for informal meetings or goal-setting discussions to help you meet your writing goals. Writing space is also available on the Gwinnett campus every Saturday this Fall. Click here to learn more.
- Write@UGA has many resources for faculty as writers and who teach writing. Register online to attend the spring Faculty Writing Retreat (choose May 15 or May 16, 2018) by May 8, 2018.
- The NCFDD's Core Curriculum, a series of webinars designed to enhance research productivity, time- and stress-management and work-life balance.*
- On-Campus Resource Guide
- See topics related to Interview questions, conflict, and student concerns below.
Professional Development for Academic Leaders
- Faculty Learning Opportunities, a set of workshops and informal meetings for new and established faculty and academic leaders. In addition to the Faculty Learning Series, we offer cohort programs including the Creating a Sustainable Writing Program, Summer Faculty Leadership Institute and Aspire Faculty Fellows Program.
- The New Department Head Orientation is a four-part, fall semester training program
for new department heads, associate deans, and directors that is also open to experienced
campus leaders who want to refresh their understanding of UGA policies and further
develop their leadership skills. Hand-outs from the most recent offering of the program
- NDAH and Sexual Harassment Policies – Key Points
- Legal considerations
- Strategic Budget Management
- Interview Inquiry Guide - Permissible and impermissible prehire questions
- Conflict Strategy Approaches
- Responding to student concerns – See Student Care and Outreach website and resources folder
- Planning for Emergencies on Campus
- Curriculum systems
- Generic Administrative Calendar for Department Heads
- The NCFDD’s Department Chair Intensive, a four-part webinar series that includes discussions on how to be an active scholar/researcher while also being an effective department head.*
- The Women's Leadership Fellows Program
- SEC Academic Leadership Development Program (ALDP) exposes faculty interested in administration to the challenges and rewards of such institutional service and prepares them for potential leadership positions within the academy.
- Recommended Books, Online Resources, and Leadership Training Programs for Campus Leaders
For more information on Office of Faculty Affairs programming, or to be added to our email list, contact Susanna Calvert.
* To access NCFDD content, choose "Become a Member" and "Claim your Institutional Membership" to create an account and sign in.