5.03 Ownership, Control, and Use of Institution Online Resources and Telecommunication Services
5.03-1 Policy on Ownership, Control, and Use of Institution Online Resources§
1. Statement of Purpose. This Policy concerns the University’s ownership, control, and use of all Institution Online Resources, addressing the following matters: (i) exclusive ownership and control of all Institution Online Resources; (ii) exclusive authority over all Institution Online Resources owned or controlled by the University and the exclusive authority to acquire additional online resources in its name in the future; (iii) approval of content published on an Institution Online Resource; and (iv) removal of content improperly published to an Institution Online Resource.
2. Definition of Institution Online Resources. The University’s “Institution Online Resources” consist of all online resources owned or controlled by the University, including internet domains, websites, web or mobile applications, official social media accounts of the institution, listservs, online educational resources, and content generated by University employees. Institution Online Resources do not include non-public-facing IT resources (e.g.: eLC, Athena, OneSource, OneUSG Connect). Institution Online Resources also do not include personal webpages and social media accounts of the University’s employees and students. University employees are advised to ensure that personal webpages and social media accounts comply with the guidance from the Division of Marketing and Communications regarding how to distinguish personal websites and social media accounts from official institutional sites and accounts. See https://mc.uga.edu/policies/website-disclaimers/.
3. Inventory of Institution Online Resources. Each unit of the University which reports directly to the President or the Provost, including colleges and divisions (each, a “Unit”), must maintain its own inventory of Institution Online Resources under its jurisdiction.
4. Authority and Control over Institution Online Resources. In keeping with University System of Georgia policy and guidance, all Institution Online Resources are the property of the University and under its exclusive control. The University has the exclusive authority over all Institution Online Resources and the exclusive authority to acquire additional Institution Online Resources in its name in the future.
5. Adoption of Policy Governing Institution Online Resources. Each Unit must have a policy providing for the establishment of Institution Online Resources, the management of existing Institution Online Resources, and the deletion of Institution Online Resources no longer needed. Each Unit’s Institution Online Resources must still comply with University-wide policies applicable to Institution Online Resources, including the following:
Policies on the Use of Computers. https://eits.uga.edu/access_and_security/infosec/pols_regs/policies/aup/
Social Media Policy + Guidelines.
Policy on Speaking for the Institution.
Policy on Dissemination of Official Announcements and University News. https://mc.uga.edu/policies/dissemination-of-official-announcements-and-news- releases/
UGA Password Policy Standard. https://eits.uga.edu/access_and_security/infosec/pols_regs/policies/passwords/passwo rd_standard/
UGA Data Classification and Protection Standard. https://eits.uga.edu/access_and_security/infosec/pols_regs/policies/dcps/
USG Information Technology Handbook - Section 5.3.2 Cybersecurity Incident Reporting Requirements. USG INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY HANDBOOK
6. Management of Institution Online Resources.
6.1. Management. Administrative access privileges for accounts associated with any Institution Online Resources may only be assigned to University employees whose job duties include the administration of such accounts.
6.2. Transition of Management. Part of the separation process for employees shall include the transition of account control over any Institution Online Resources managed by the departing employee.
7. Review and Approval of Content.
7.1. Each Unit must have an internal procedure providing for the review and approval of content created on or posted to Institution Online Resources under its control, including the designation of one or more individuals ultimately responsible for approving content. Such review and approval process must comply with applicable federal and state laws.
7.2. Each Unit shall be responsible for the content created on or posted to Institution Online Resources under its control, including responsibility to ensure that content (i) complies with applicable USG and University policies, (ii) complies with federal accessibility requirements, and (iii) does not violate the intellectual property rights of third parties.
8. Moderation of Third-Party Content.
Content created by third-party users of Institution Online Resources shall be moderated in compliance with applicable University policies governing the posting of content on such Institution Online Resources and subject to any applicable terms and conditions or end user agreements of the third-party hosting platform, if any.
9. Removal of Unauthorized Content.
9.1. Any content created on or posted to an Institution Online Resource that has not been approved pursuant to the applicable Unit’s required review and approval process or is otherwise not in compliance with University or USG policies governing content for such Institution Online Resource shall be removed and/or retracted promptly following discovery. The authority and responsibility for removing and/or retracting such content will reside with the Unit that controls the Institution Online Resource where the content is located. Ultimate authority for approval, removal, and retraction of content on Institution Online Resources rests with the President.
9.2. If a Unit determines that the unauthorized creation and/or posting of content to an Institution Online Resource was done by a party lacking authorization to otherwise create or post content, whether a University employee or outside party, the Unit will communicate the details of such unauthorized content creation and/or posting to the University’s Office of Information Security (firstname.lastname@example.org) for a review of any potential data privacy and cybersecurity concerns.
Responsible University Senior Administrator: Office of the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost
Additional Responsible University Administrators:
Division of Enterprise Information Technology Services
Division of Marketing and Communications
UGA Cabinet Approved: September 27, 2022
5.03-2 Broad Overview of Telephone Services for Faculty/Staff and Students§
Please see https://policies.uga.edu/Purchasing-and-Payment-Processing/Unique-Purchasing-and-Payment-Processes-for-Specif/Wireless-Communication-Devices-Telecommunications/.
- Enterprise Information Technology Services, Office of Telephone Services
5.03-3 Telecommunications Policy§
Please see University of Georgia Telecommunications Policy for Wireless Devices/Cellular Telephones, Long Distance Usage, and Home/Off Campus Internet Access: https://policies.uga.edu/Purchasing-and-Payment-Processing/Unique-Purchasing-and-Payment-Processes-for-Specif/Wireless-Communication-Devices-Telecommunications/.
- Office of the Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration
5.03-4 Telecommunication Procedure§
Please see Procedure for Approval, Purchase, Payment and Inventory of Wireless Communication Devices and Services: https://policies.uga.edu/Purchasing-and-Payment-Processing/Unique-Purchasing-and-Payment-Processes-for-Specif/Wireless-Communication-Devices-Telecommunications/.
- Office of the Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration