Vice Presidents, Deans, Directors, Department Heads, and Office of Research staff
S. Jack Hu, Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost
October 15, 2020
Office of Research review and Vice President for Research Search
The upcoming search for the University of Georgia’s next Vice President for Research presents an opportunity to assess progress since the last review of the Office of Research, in 2014-2015.
A 19-member committee chaired by Donald Leo, Dean of the College of Engineering, will support a two-phase process that begins with a condensed review of the Office of Research by gathering data and soliciting input from key stakeholders, with assistance from the Provost’s Office.
For the second phase, which consists of a search and screening process for candidates
nominated for the next Vice President for Research, the committee will be expanded
to include student, staff, and other stakeholder representation. The search committee
will be assisted by an external search consultant and the UGA Search Group in Human
Job Posting: Vice President for Research
In addition to Dean Leo, the members of the committee are:
- Sonia Altizer, UGA Athletic Association Professor of Ecology and Associate Dean for Research and Operations, Odum School of Ecology
- Alyssa Baugh, Graduate Student, Department of Microbiology
- Toby Carr, Vice President for Government Relations
- David Crich, Georgia Research Alliance and David Chu Eminent Scholar in Drug Design, Department of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences, College of Pharmacy
- Francisco Diez-Gonzalez, Professor and Director of the Center for Food Safety, College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
- Lillian Eby, Professor of Psychology, Franklin College of Arts and Sciences, and Director of the Owens Institute for Behavioral Research
- Tianming Liu, Distinguished Research Professor, Department of Computer Science, Franklin College of Arts and Sciences
- Barbara McCaskill, Professor of English, Franklin College, Co-Director, Civil Rights Digital Library Initiative; and Associate Academic Director, Willson Center for Humanities and Arts
- Jessica Orbock, Senior Legal Advisor, Office of Research
- Gregory Robinson, UGA Foundation Professor of Chemistry, Franklin College
- Marisa Pagnattaro, Vice Provost for Academic Affairs, Josiah Meigs Distinguished Teaching Professor, Terry College of Business
- James Shore, Senior Associate Vice President for Finance and Administration and Budget Director
- Susan Shows, President, Georgia Research Alliance
- Christine Szymanski, Professor, Department of Microbiology, Franklin College, and Complex Carbohydrate Research Center
- Mark Tompkins, Professor, Department of Infectious Diseases, College of Veterinary Medicine, and Center for Vaccines and Immunology
- C.J. Tsai, Winfred N. “Hank” Haynes Professor and Georgia Research Alliance Eminent Scholar, Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources
- Kyle Tschepikow, Special Assistant to the President and Director for Strategy and Innovation, Office of the President
- Lance Wells, Professor and GRA Distinguished Investigator, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Franklin College, and Director, Integrative Life Sciences program
Updates on the search will be shared with recipients of this memo and also will be posted to https://provost.uga.edu/vp_research_search/.
David Lee, who has served as Vice President for Research since 2005, recently announced that he will retire at the end of May after more than 15 years of service and leadership at UGA.