Advanced Leader Program
The University of Georgia is piloting the Advanced Leader Program (ALP) in 2023 and will begin a second cohort in 2024. Cohort recruitment and selection is in fall, and the program kicks off in January.
The program focuses on four leadership competencies: personal mastery, interpersonal communication, team management, and systems thinking. During this year, participants will engage in a leadership project of their choosing. Cohort meetings will afford opportunities to learn from senior administrators and experts in leadership development. Further, the cohort will build relationships across the university to strengthen peer mentoring and coaching among leaders.
The program operates on the calendar year with a kickoff in January and a final celebration
the following January at the kickoff of next cohort. This overlap will bring cohorts
Spring: Attendance at three cohort program half-day day retreats with invited speakers.
The dates below will take place at the Georgia Center for Continuing Education from 8:30 am - 1:00 pm.
Dates for the CY 2023 cohort:
- Thursday, January 19, 2023
- Wednesday, February 22, 2023
- Wednesday, March 22, 2023
Summer: Attendance at two (optional) summer group coaching sessions (90-minutes) to augment work on leadership development plans, leadership projects, and shared goals. Dates for spring sessions will be chosen by cohort.
Fall: Attendance at three sessions (90-minutes). One or more will be a workshop led by a leadership expert, and other sessions will be structured group coaching. Participants will share project development and continue peer mentoring and coaching. Dates for fall sessions will be chosen during spring of each year in conjunction with the cohort.
Participants will be UGA faculty holding an administrative position at the level of department head, director, assistant or associate dean, assistant vice president or above. Faculty leaders who have held a titled leadership role for 1 year or more may apply for this cohort program. Nominees are expected to possess leadership experience with a record of achievement, along with an interest in administrative service.
Application closed. To apply for CY24, please check our website in September 2023.
Nomination packets must include the following documents (to be uploaded in the online application):
- A brief letter of support from a unit head, dean, or senior administrator in support of the application (1-2 pages, address letter to Associate Provost Elizabeth Weeks, 215 New College, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602).
- A statement of interest (1-3 pages) from the nominee that outlines the nominee’s 1) experience in academic governance or administration to date; 2) aspirations for future administrative service; and, 3) idea for a leadership project that may be completed in 3-4 months and would contribute to current responsibilities and advance leadership knowledge and skills.
- Current curriculum vita.
Robert Bringolf, Warnell School of Forestry & Natural Resources
John Drake, Odum School of Ecology
Adam Goodie, Franklin College of Arts and Sciences
Philip Hong, School of Social Work
Amanda Murdie, School of Public & International Affairs
Pejman Rohani, Odum School of Ecology